Thanks to Rosie Eyre from By Rosie for nowadays’s recipe.
Grilled eggplant and halloumi with saffron, chilli, garlic and lemon yoghurt dressing is the most perfect salad to bring along to your subsequent BBQ feast. A dish that will not just lift your spirits, it will give you a boost of the very good stuff and here’s why:
Eggplants are a fantastic source of folate (this helps treat low iron in the blood), fibre (digestion) and some magnesium which is wonderful for sleep.
Garlic nurtures your immunity, rich in vitamin C and is a good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
Lemon adds that added boost of vitamin C for your immunity and aids to stimulate digestion.
Chilli is yet another wonderful source of vitamin C, it is useful to add some at the end to get its greatest advantages.
Saffron can help regulate the menstrual cycle, support with digestive disorders and has been used as an anti-depressant.
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300g eggplant, sliced into 1cm thickness
- 100g halloumi, sliced into 1 cm thickness
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon to squeeze more than
For the dressing:
- 1 pinch saffron soaked in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 hot chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (heaped) Greek yoghurt
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- Heat a griddle or frying pan or even your BBQ. Rub each side of eggplant with olive oil. Add to hot pan and fry either side for about 6-8 minutes until softened and browned then flip. Remove from pan when carried out and spot to the side.
- In the last couple of minutes, add the halloumi and fry either side for a minute or so until softened and browned.
- To make the dressing, grind the saffron with a pestle and mortar until a powder. Add the tbsp of boiling water and let it release the flavour for a couple of minutes. Add the lemon juice, chilli and garlic and mush with each other with pestle and mortar. Finish by adding yoghurt and stir effectively. Taste then season to taste with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Layer up plate with eggplant and halloumi, drizzle dressing, serve with an additional squeeze of lemon juice followed by a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
The post Foodie Friday: Grilled eggplant and halloumi salad