Those who work in interior design business probably would agree that after working several months (sometimes years!) on an interior design project you start to have a feeling similar to what women have on the 9th month of pregnancy – you just want this baby out. Some projects are easier, some are more difficult, but all of them require lots of time, effort and patience, so when you finally complete it, it’s time to spread the word and let the world know about your wonderful job.
For interior designers being published in various magazines and websites is not only honorable recognition of their talent and skills – it is a great tool to attract new clients and make our business prosper.
Some of the interior designers at this stage get unnecessarily modest and think that their work doesn’t deserve publication and don’t even try to pitch to editors. If you are among those humble individuals, please, stop it! When the project is completed, style it for a photoshoot and hire a professional photographer and then try to submit it to as many interior design magazines as possible. In the worst case scenario, the editor will reject your project for publication or won’t answer your email so there is really nothing to fear.
I did the research job for you so here is the list of interior design magazines and blogs where you can submit your projects for publications. I wouldn’t underestimate the importance of online presence – I think online magazines and blogs can be even better than paper editions, which tend to end up in the bin, while online articles tend to live much longer and if linked to your portfolio website also help it to rank higher in search engines. Also, don’t limit your pitches to local magazines – isn’t it great to expand your business internationally and get global recognition? So here is my list:
- ADORE – Australian interior design and home decor magazine. Email for submissions – firstname.lastname@example.org
2. ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST – number 1 magazine in the world of interiors. Being published there is very honorable and prestigious. Most probably there is a local AD in your country, so it is better to start from it and then submit to other countries as well.
3. APARTAMENTO is widely recognized as today’s most influential, inspiring, and honest interiors magazine. International, well designed, simply written, and tastefully curated since 2008, it is an indispensable resource for individuals who are passionate about the way they live. The publication is published biannually from its headquarters in Barcelona. It also has offices in New York, Milan and Berlin. Email for submissions – email@example.com
4. APARTMENT THERAPY – is probably the most well-known home improvement and design website in the US. Here is the link for submitting your work on this website.
5. ARTICHOKE – Artichoke showcases interior architecture, design, objects, people, and products. Australia’s most engaging interior architecture and design magazine, it presents inspiring examples of design excellence and engaging discussion of design issues to industry professionals and a broader audience of design-savvy consumers. Email for submissions – firstname.lastname@example.org
6. ASPIRE DESIGN AND HOME magazine inspires readers through stunningly-produced quarterly print editions, that feature meticulously-curated product and trend coverage, as well as original luxury editorial features from around the globe. Email for submissions – email@example.com
7. ATHOME MAGAZINE – another beautiful magazine about beautiful interiors. Email for submissions – Mail@mofflymedia.com
8. BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS – is one of the biggest home improvement, gardening and decor sites on the web and it also has a print edition. Email for submissions – firstname.lastname@example.org
9. BLUEPRINT MAGAZINE. Blueprint Magazine was established in 1983 in the UK and has now been bringing its readers an essential mix of architecture, design and art more than 30 years. Emails for submissions: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. COVETED – is the world’s top resource for interior design. It has also a great online edition. Email for submissions – email@example.com
12. CONTEMPORIST – online platform that celebrates contemporary culture. Email for submissions – firstname.lastname@example.org
13. DWELL – another magazine focusing on modern living. Submissions can be made on their website.
14. DESIGN SPONGE – a popular daily blog run by Grace Bonney. Submissions can be made on their website.
15. DESIGN MILK – online magazine focusing on modern design. Projects can be submitted on their website.
16. DESIGN ANTHOLOGY – quarterly Asian magazine about interior design. You can send your submission to this email address – email@example.com.
17. DECOHOLIC – a great blog featuring beautiful interiors from all over the world. Contact email – firstname.lastname@example.org
18. DECOR8 – popular blogger Holly Becker talks about all things home decor since 2006. Sometimes she features beautiful home tours too. Contact email – email@example.com
19. ELLE DECORATION – this is competitor number one to Architectural digest, needless to say, that being published there is a great luck for any interior designer. As published in so many countries it is better to research your local editor’s contacts.20. EK-MAGAZINE – French magazine about architecture and design from all over the world. Projects could be submitted on their website.
21. ELITE MAGAZINE – Russian magazine about beautiful interiors and latest design trends. Email for submissions- firstname.lastname@example.org
22.EST LIVING – Australian blog inspired by first-hand industry experience and a passion for sharing the world’s most beautiful homes, products and design resources. Email for submissions – email@example.com
23. FRAME – Established in 1997, FRAME is the world’s leading media brand for interior-design professionals. Email for submissions – firstname.lastname@example.org
24. HOUZZ – online platform that unites professionals and home owners from all over the world.
25. HEART HOME MAGAZINE – Launched in September 2011 as a digital monthly publication, Heart Home is now a daily blog celebrating all that is unique and good about interior decor and lifestyle. Email for submissions – email@example.com.